November 19, 2012
So I found this super neat coffee table at a local consignment store for around $30.00, fell in love with the carved wood style and thought to myself… ”southern style”! I took it home and came up with a plan. Make it look FAB! So here is a run down of what I did!
1. Strip to bare wood using Strip-X
2. Sand using 220 grit sanding paper (I sanded by hand)
3. Use a tack cloth to remove dust
4. Tape portions off that you do not want to color (for example I taped off the white edges to paint on the green and vise versa).
5. Paint in long even strokes and in thin and multiple applications until you reach the desired color you want. I painted in 3 applications. Let dry in between coats. Last coat, let dry 24-48 hours. For paints I used a semi-gloss discount antique white and green that I found at Lowes for 3 dollars each, totaling 6 dollars.
6. Use water based poly spray and follow the directions on the can carefully and use a mask. The spray poly was around 11 dollars at lowes. I used 2 coats of this spray letting it dry for 6 hours in between and spraying further away then recommended so that there are not any uneven dots.
7. Enjoy your table!
You can do this with any piece of furniture you wish to paint!